2006-03-29

Forgiveness

A collegue, out of nowhere, handed me a book this morning - one of those Christian Publications that teach you a little about the faith, and hopefully get you interested enough to ask for more information.

It was on the topic of forgiveness, and stressed the need for you to forgive your peers, as a prerequisite for receiving God's forgiveness. I dont have the book with me now, but it quoted several texts (I am sure correctly) that supported this view.

Rubbish.

You would have me believe that the forgiveness of God, a.k.a. the Love of God, is conditional? That God will only love me if I love Him first, and forgive others first?
What - did Christ, bleeding and dying on the Cross that first Good Friday, suddenly look the camera's and Mel Gibson in the eye and say "This offer of Salvation for a limited time only: Terms and conditions apply" ??

But God shows his love for us in that while we were yet sinners Christ died for us
Romans 5:8

Christ died for you whether you wanted it or not. God loves you whether you believe in Him or not, and irrespective of whether or not you think you deserve His Love. And God, with the death of His only Begotton Son, has forgiven all our sins whether we acknowledge them or not.

The key here is WHETHER WE ACCEPT THAT FORGIVENESS.
If I am hard and bitter and vindictive, can I imagine a God who is kind and gentle and generous?
If "I dont get angry - I get even" is my rule in life, can I believe in a God who takes the lash on His own back on my behalf, when I am unfaithful to Him?
If I live my life saying "I will enjoy myself to the max, and then say I am sorry before I die", am I sure that as I die I will be NOT be angry because of all the pleasures I will no longer experience?
No.
It is only when we ourselves become forgiving people that we begin to appreciate forgiveness, and understand that we ourselves can be forgiven. This is by an act of free will, a conscious choice we make, to forgive. We do not forgive because "we are afraid God will penalise us if we dont forgive". Christ died for sinners, not for 144,000 Christians with a 'holier than thou' attitude. Salvation is not a reward for the good, but a gift poured out freely for Jews and Gentiles alike.

Isiah 55:1 ""Ho, every one who thirsts, come to the waters; and he who has no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without price. "

All you have to do is come, and receive.
Pax Vobiscum.

No comments: