2006-06-18

Corpus Christi

The Feast of the Body and Blood of Christ.

The night before he died, Christ shared the Passover dinner with his diciples. This is where he took bread, gave thanks for it, broke it, and gave it to them saying:
"Take this and eat - this is my body"
Then he took the cup, filled with wine. He gave thanks and gave it to them, and said:
"This is my blood"

And so for the past 2000 years, the Catholic Church has had this power and this responsibility - that in the celebration of the Eucharist, a validly ordained priest, with valid intention, obeys God's command and changes bread and wine into the real body and the real blood of Christ.

When I was young, this was so wonderful a truth that I could focus my whole being on those 8 simple words when they were spoken. I could feel awe and gratitude every time that the creator of stars and planets and galaxies and nova would lower himself to be present to me in what seemed to be a tiny wafer of bread. But age and cynicism have dulled the senses, and dimmed the awareness of the miracle happening before me every Sunday (and, indeed, happening daily all round the world wherever a mass is celebrated).

Lost innocence can not be reclaimed, unfortunately. But perhaps, with the will, the mind and heart can be taught again to see what we believe, and to believe what we can not see.

My prayer for tonight: "Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief."

No comments: